Thursday, December 25, 2014

EPISODE 6: Hoppy Holidays!

EPISODE 6: 
Hoppy Holidays!

The ever-imaginative Pine Box once again held “The Twelve Randalls of Christmas.”Of course I had to attend, and if anything it was more fun than last year’s event. It was just too big for one poem, so here are two:

THE RANDALLS OF CHRISTMAS – A DIPTYCH

1.

On Thursday, then, I set out in the rain
Upon the long walk to the Pine Box bar
No mere downpour could bring me any pain
As I drew near, a Magus to a star

And lo!  Within the courtyard there I faced
A dozen Randall gadgets in a row
In each a new ingredient was placed
Through which a different winter beer would flow

The Randall, a magnificent machine
(Devised by Dogfish Head, or so I’m told)
Creates new tastes that none before have seen
With flavors either delicate or bold

I stand in line to fill my glass with beer
Anticipating splendid Christmas cheer

2.

Within the first device there was a throng
Of brandied cherries, soon to be a part
Of St Bernardus Ale, already strong
But now with something extra, rich and tart

The Bayern Brewing Eisbock was infused
With star anise and just a bit of clove
And also just a few spruce tips were used
Fresh-picked, perhaps, from some Christmas-tree grove

“Abominable,” fresh from Portland’s HUB,
Had toffee caramels sweeten the hops
And “Jolly roger” also joined the club:
Its rum-soaked raisins pulled out all the stops!

Eight other beers were also featured here

A perfect showcase for some unique beer

No comments:

Post a Comment