Monday, December 15, 2014

EPISODE 4: Dust To Dust

EPISODE 4
Dust To Dust

On December 6th, the Pine Box bar in Seattle featured the beers of Midnight Sun. This brewery, out of Anchorage, brought in six enormous beers: Three stouts, two barleywines and an imperial porter, all weighing in around the neighborhood of ten percent alcohol. My favorite was their “Termination Dust,” which I will invoke below, continuing my “dust” theme from last post.

Termination Dust

When summer enters in its final weeks
And winter’s howling winds begin to gust
The first snow starts to dot Alaska’s peaks
They call this snowfall “Termination Dust.”

The beer that bears its name is dark and fine
It’s aged in oak; it’s rich and buttery
They call the style a “Belgian Barleywine”
(It tasted sort of like a Quad to me)

As my glass warms new flavors run the course
The taste of Belgian yeast is clear to me
And yet the carbonation comes by force
Just like an English barleywine would be

Thirteen percent! Yes, that’s the alcohol!
This boozy treat might terminate us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment